Wednesday 1 August 2012

Valencia 'humbled' by Manchester United No.7 shirt

Manchester United midfielder Antonio Valencia has revealed he is “humbled” after being handed the No.7 shirt to wear during the upcoming season.
The famous jersey has been worn by Old Trafford icons such as George Best, Eric Cantona, David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo over the years.

However, the winger was quick to turn attention to matters on the field as Valencia has targeted the Premier League and Champions League crowns this term – adding that a club of their size and stature should always be challenging for both trophies.

"I’m excited to be wearing the no.7 shirt in the coming season" Valencia told the club’s official website.

"It's a number I really respect because so many great players have worn the shirt and made history for Manchester United in it.

"Now I hope I can write my own. It's a new adventure but it's something that I'm very relaxed about and also humbled by."

Although the 26-year old is focused on winning a place in Sir Alex Ferguson's starting XI every game, he also wants the team to mount a serious charge for the league title and to be crowned champions of Europe.

He continued: "We are all looking forward to the new campaign. On a personal level, I want to be involved in every game, but to be honest I think more from a team perspective and I'd love us to win all the competitions we play in, particularly the Premier League and Champions League.

"We are Manchester United and those are the trophies we should always be aiming to win.”

Valencia has hailed the team spirit within the squad and believes full sessions in training camps in China and South Africa with the club will really benefit him ahead of the upcoming season as he has not completed a full pre-season programme for five years.
Training for the new season has been going very well. We trained hard in South Africa and China and it was good to play some games,” he revealed.

"It’s been five years since I had a full pre-season so it's fantastic to be getting this opportunity. It’s gone well and more than anything I’m pleased not have picked up any injuries.

"All the players are feeling good about the new season. There is a great team spirit amongst everyone. I love being part of this team – I have some good friends here and I laugh a lot with guys like Evra, Nani, Anderson, Bebe and Chicharito, but everybody in the group has a laugh together.

"When we have to work, we take things seriously. When the time is right to enjoy ourselves, we do that too." 

No comments:

Post a Comment