Wednesday 1 August 2012

De Gea happy with performance despite 'unlucky' Spain Olympics exit

 

The Manchester United shot-stopper believes he performed to the "best" of his abilities despite La Roja's poor London 2012 showing, after they failed to score on British shores

La Roja’s elimination from London 2012 had already been confirmed before Wednesday’s clash with Morocco following defeats to both Japan and Honduras, but their 0-0 draw at Old Trafford means they return home without having scored a goal on British shores.
Despite his side's poor showing, De Gea insists Spain were “unlucky” during the tournament, whilst also reserving praise for their African opponents.
“We really fought it but we couldn’t make it, we’re really sad that we’re out of the comp but we’ve done our best,” the Manchester United goalkeeper said after the game.
“[Morocco] are a very good team, they played really well, it was really even today.
“There has been pressure but we’re used to that, I think that we’ve played well, we couldn’t make it or win.
“I think we haven’t been very lucky, against Honduras we tried to score many times but couldn’t. These Olympic games haven’t been our games, we tried hard but we’ve been unlucky.”
The 21-year-old was also happy with his own display throughout the tournament, and was confident he gave his best for the national side.
“I think I’ve done my best, I’ve tried to help the team as much as I could, I’m happy with my performance," he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment