Sunday 22 July 2012

Anderson admits Manchester United crossroads

Manchester United midfielder Anderson has admitted that he faces a crucial stage in his Old Trafford career, and that the next few weeks will determine his future.

The Brazilian is under contract until 2015, and despite suffering from a number of fitness and off-field problems, he believes he can recover and come back better than ever.

"The last two years have been very difficult," he told reporters. "Nobody wants a player who has a lot of injuries.

"But I am still young. I am only 24. And I believe I can get through this.

"All summer I stayed in Europe to work on my knee. Now I am 100 per cent. I don't have any more injuries. I don't have a problem."

Now, with pre-season preparations well underway as the Red Devils tour South Africa, Anderson believes this season is one of the most important in his career.

"This is a very big season for me," he added.

"In my first three years we won everything; Champions League, Premier League, Carling Cup. But then I suffered a cruciate injury and had a bad problem.

"I tried to push through it when I came back but it was still sore. Sometimes it was bad and the pain stayed.

"Sometimes you think you might have to change clubs, but I love it here.

"The club has always helped me, as have the other players. I have worked so hard trying to get right."

United often looked depleted in the centre of midfield last season, and the Brazilian believes that he could play a key role in adding to their resources in that position for the coming campaign.

"Manchester United have some good players; [Paul] Scholes, [Michael] Carrick, [Tom] Cleverley, [Ryan] Giggs," he said.

"If we bring in new players it will help even more, although you could say that about any club.

"The thing is, if I stay fit, I can be that player. I can be a success at United.

"You have seen, when I don't have a problem, I play well.

"The problems come when I have an injury. After six or seven games last season it felt as though one leg was 30% weaker than the other."

The Red Devils next face Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua on July 25 at Shanghai Stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment